Santa Claus has brought me a 7″ touchscreen display for my raspberry pi. I thought setting it up would be as easy as plug and play, and it probably is so for the new version 3 model B but for older versions you need some extra steps:
- Identify which version of raspberry pi you have
- You will need to get a microusb power source of at least 2A (I got one for €10) the power source which came with my raspi was only 1.2A and could not power the whole thing.
- Do not power the raspberry pi via microusb. Power the display motherboard via microusb and power the raspberry board via GPIO 5v pin
- Connect the SCL/SDA, 5V and GND pins from your display to the corresponding pins in the raspi’s GPIO
- Connect the DSI bus
- Boot your raspi and edit file /boot/config.txt adding a line at the end ignore_lcd=0
- Start up your raspi and your display should be working